- STOYRIES project
- How to become a pilot/patron
- How does Verkami work?
- How will the funds be used?
- What will happen next?
- Who is the team behind the project?
Note: Before deciding to become a pilot/patron we ask you to read all the information below.
1. STOYRIES project:
Stoyries is a project that creates stories through toys - or as we like to call them 'playful activators' - connecting different people throughout the world.
Stoyries started as an experimental and academic project which studied the possibility that small elements linked to the game could build great stories. Inviting three essential verbs: to interact, to move and above all, to play.
Over time, Stoyries has become a mix between a social enterprise, an NGO and a way of creating real stories connecting people through games.
The idea is simple, we create toy planes all different, with a code that allows you to locate them in space. In 2015 we launched 50 planes. Such was the success that sold them out the same day. Since then our planes have travelled all over the world, from Madrid to California, North Africa, Europe, Lake Bakalar in Mexico, Kentucky, Morocco or Australia.
How it works is very basic, whenever someone buys a plane we create 2; one for the buyer and one for someone in an exceptional situation, as children suffering from cancer or in refugee camps. Since then, the two pilots are linked and can tell the adventures of their plane toys in any social network using the tag #stoyries or through the PLAY button on our website (www.stoyri.es).
StoyriesxGreece is part of a project which, in this case, seeks to take toy planes to refugees camps in collaboration with the NGO Solidarity Now (www.solidaritynow.org).
2. How to become a pilot/patron
The pilots are a fundamental part of STOYRIES, without them we won’t be able to do the project, that is why we have prepared different profiles so you can find the one that fits you the most.
3. How does Verkami work?
For Verkami, crowdfunding is a way of funding projects through pledges from many different people who, in return, get exclusive rewards in the form of products, services or experiences.
It is not an investment to make a profit. Creators keep 100% ownership of their project and the profits it makes. Each project has a funding goal set by the creator and 40 days to reach it.
In our case we recommend:
- First: Understand how STOYRIES works and choose your reward.
- Second: make your contribution.
- Third: be patient, once we finish the campaign we will get to it. But remember that we will only get the funding if we reach the 100%.
- Fourth: We will print the toy planes once we finish the campaign and when everything is ready we will travel to Greece.
- Fifth: when we come back, we will send all the rewards.
4. How will the funds be used?
Once we get the funding we are committed to create 150 pairs of plane toys in less than one month (each plane takes 4 hours to be printed).
Then, we will travel to Greece where we will meet our partners from Solidarity Now to deliver the toy planes to children and to film the whole process. We will inform about the process continuously on our social networks.
After our travel- no later than 5 weeks since we get the funding – we will send all the toy planes, and the other rewards, to our patrons indicating the data and wishes from the children collected in Greece.
6. What will happen next?
If we can complete the first step: finance 150 plane toy pairs, we guarantee that the first thing to do will be travelling to Greece to deliver the toys and film a documentary about the process STOYRIESxGreece. In that case, we will extend the campaign to 150 extra couples and we will continue sending planes to places in an emergency situation.
7. Who is the team behind the project?
Behind STOYRIES is a great team that makes it possible:
- Aida Red: architect and a PhD student focused on how the game can change the use of the space. Creator and co-founder of STOYRIES, she coordinates the project, acts as a copywriter, divides the work to do, and solves everything.
- Agustín Flowalistik: 3D designer, he has a degree in Fine Arts. Co-founder of STOYRIES, manufacturer and creator of the toy planes' design and everything related with it. Multidisciplinary artist.
- José Manuel Blasco: Multimedia engineer and restless mind. In STOYRIES, he is in charge of all the virtual and web issues (that’s why our page works so perfectly!). What’s more, he also records, programmes, and has fantastic ideas.
- María Talaverano: She studied a degree in Law and Business Administration.. Co-founder of STOYRIES, she organizes things and coordinates our beautiful social networks.
- Anna Andújar: English philologist, she currently works as an English teacher. In STOYRIES she checks and translates texts for our communication team and webpage, she is also in charge of the international communication. She is a wise person, especially when it comes to the legal setting of STOYRIES.
- Virginia López: Fabulous graphic designer. She designed everything for STOYRIES and she works to make everything look so beautifully.
- Juan Gálvez: Journalist and perfectionist. In STOYRIES, he is in charge to cheek everything is correct and talk about stories; he manages all communication with the media.
- Beatriz Catalá: Pedagogue and educational counsellor who loves helping others. In STOYRIES she coordinates that everything is appropriate for our exceptional pilots. She also tries to make everyone happy.
We could not live without Sara Blasco (our actress and dubbing voice), Elena García (she helps us in everything and coordinates the logistics), Andreas Kyriakou (Animations’ creator) and the Research Hypermedia group (ETSAM; UPM, Aida belongs to this group) which encourages and supports us.
Why is there a minimum sponsorship option that does not include a second plane toy?
It is very simple, many people want to contribute to the project, but they don't want to know that there is another plane toy connected to them (either because they don't want to become emotionally involved or for any other reason). That’s why we offer the possibility to become a patron without a proper plane toy (but we’ll send you a small plane toy, yes!).
What will exactly happen with the twin plane toy once we get to Greece?
In Greece we will visit the Solidarity Now facilities in several parts of the country, focusing above all on the outskirts of Athens. There, we will give away all the plane toys to the children and we will record their data and wishes. This information will be included in your parcel, then you will know all about your twin pilot and their wishes.
If there are any extra plane toys, we will give them to Solidarity Now because everyday new families reach their facilities, in this way they will be able to share these toys with more children. Our aim is to continue this project after the first 150 couples.
But, can I lose contact with the plane?
Of course, that’s a possibility. It is important to understand that these places are transitory, these families spend a few weeks or months and, then, they go to another location. This is the reason why it is important to understand that; we will distribute the plane toys among the children living in these facilities at the time of our travel (this place has points of Internet access that the children and their families will be able to use them to keep in touch) but once these families travel to another location, no one can guarantee the connection between the two plane toys. It is part of the game, the connection may be lost for some time and, then a few months later reconnect, when their lives have stabilized in another European country. It can also keep connected all the time or, even lost forever. The uncertainty about what will happen with the other plane is part of the project and the risk of donating toys. But this, far from being a problem has sometimes given us amazing stories, such as; that about a travel guide that sent us a picture of children in a nomadic town from the North of Africa having one of our plane toys. We got to know the story thanks to the printed code, which makes it possible to track them and follow their adventures. This gives us the opportunity to reconstruct the story from the start.
Will I be able to continue all this process somehow?
Of course, you will be able to follow it on our social networks, and especially in the documentary that we will show when we come back, where you will find out about adventure: where do the planes go, how they are used and all the things that happen.
Will I be able to choose the colour of the plane?
Yes! If you want to choose it, once you become a patron send us a mail and we will tell you the options.