The El Ermitaño neighborhood is a self-built settlement in the North of Lima which was shaped and built by immigrants since the early 1960s. The film „A Roof of my Own“ (UNTV, 1964) documented its formation process and the way in which the Peruvian government at the time gave support to the settlers.
In 2016, after the rediscovery of the old film, we gave back this memory to the people, showed it in the neighbourhood and by reactivating the local memory we started the project of making a new film: we wanted to know and tell what this neighbourhood has become today, what the struggles of the past have been able to achieve, what its people long for and dream about today, how they live, which environmental and social problems they are facing, and which imaginaries are driving its people today.
We have documented the place and are telling its story through the voices of some of its inhabitants.
Jointly with its inhabitants, we want to imagine a better urban future. And start a platform of visual imaginaries and oral testimonies of this and other self-built neighborhoods in Peru, in Latin America and in the world.
Who we are
With the architect John F C Turner as father of the project and the architect and urban planner Kathrin Golda-Pongratz as initiator of the documentary Project, we are a multidisciplinary Peruvian team around the collective “Imaginario Colectivo” to which the director Rodrigo Flores and the team of sound and image belong.
This is our team:
• Concepto y dirección de proyecto: Kathrin Golda-Pongratz
• Dirección: Rodrigo Flores (Imaginario Colectivo)
• Asistencia e investigación: Dayan Zussner y Rosa Paredes
• Guión: Rodrigo Flores, Noelia Crispin y Kathrin Golda-Pongratz
• Producción: Claudia Chávez
• Asistencia de dirección: Totó Flores
• Dirección de fotografía: Ian Ilbert
• Fotografía adicional: Audrey Córdova Rampant, Kathrin Golda-Pongratz, John F. C. Turner
• Cartografía: Dayan Zussner
• Edición: Miguel Reyes
• Sonido directo: José Carlos Valencia
• Musicalización: Rafael Benavides
• Colorización y Post: Oswaldo Montufar
• Operador de drone: José Aragonés
• Movilidad: Jorge Gomez
• Policia: Victor Condezo
The main characters of the documentary film:
• Maryori Cotrina Vigo: Girl of 11 years. Listening to her dreams and fears we can get to know better the place where she lives between El Ermitaño and Pampa de Cueva.
• Domingo Becerra Guadaña: Theatre teacher and cultural promotor, son of a family of first invaders convinced about the role of culture as a motor of change
• Silvina Patiño: One of the first invaders of El Ermitaño. Nowadays, a third generation lives with her in the house. She spends her days working in the small internet place which she has opened in her former living room.
• Yessenia Uñaupe: – Local leader who participates actively to improve the neighborhood, organizes the population and has many political and social proposals for a better future.
• Dante Sánchez: Leader and son of one of the leading figures of reference of the first generation, Octavio Sánchez Medina.
Why do we need your support?
To produce this documentary we had a large support from the population and an initial support by the British Building and Social Housing Foundation BSHF(today World-Habitat).
But we need more money for the final post-production steps and the musicalization of the documentary.
Do you want to be a micro sponsor of the project? And would you like to see your name in the documentary?
Do you want to help us constructing new urban imaginaries of the city that was built by the people themselves?
We invite you to help us!
About the rewards
Credits: You will appear as micro sponsor, sponsor or macro sponsor in the credits.
Special invitation: You will be invited to the film launch in Lima on October 9th.
Digital poster of the project (A3 format)
The online link: you will receive the link to the online version of the film
Stamped bag: You will receive a stamped bag of the project
Guided visit to El Ermitaño and La Bella Durmiente: The visit will be co-organized with a local leader and will be done in small groups. It will start at the square in front of Independencia municipality (meeting point)
Future presentations: you will be kept posted on all future presentations of the film in other parts of the world
Macro sponsor: the logo of your firm will appear in the credits
The documentary edition will be ready in August.
The film launch will be in Lima in October at Goethe Institut.
We will have more presentations at El Ermitaño and in ''Universidad Privada del Norte''.
Awards will be given one week after the main presentation in Lima.
Thank you so much for your support!
Facebook City Unfinished: facebook.com/barrioautoconstruido
Facebook Imaginario Colectivo: facebook.com/ImaginarioColectivoOficial