Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll (1832-1898) was a priest, mathematician, photographer and writer who went down in history above all for his famous novel Alice in Wonderland. Due to the success obtained with the publication of this book, he wrote a second book, Through the Looking Glass.
The musician and composer Marc Egea, inspired by reading Through the Looking Glass has composed 14 musical pieces that will be performed live by the quartet ALENKY (in honor of Czech filmmaker Jan Švankmajer, who made the film entitled Alenky based on Alice in Wonderland). The staging of this show will be a traditional quartet concert form.
In parallel, the drawer and painter Lali Pantone (co-author with Marc Egea of the book of illustrations and haikus Gineceu) has made a set of 14 illustrations from episodes of the book that inspired the music.
There is no particular way to define the genre of music performed by ALENKY, but we can tell you that there are elements of folk, jazz, rock and free improvisation.
The music will be edited into an album that includes a CD with the recordings of ALENKY and Lali Pantone’s artwork, who is also responsible for creating the cover’s drawing. The circulation will be of 500 copies.
How your kind contributions will be used
To realize this project we need € 4500 to cover the following expenses:
• Record, mix and master the album.
• Design the cover and booklet inside.
• Create illustrations.
• Make a photo shoot with the four members of Alenky over a photomontage with artwork.
• Publish 500 copies of the album.
• Make a teaser video to promote the album and the quartet.
• Covering the costs of Verkami, rewards and taxes.
We’ll present you the album thus:
• 1 audio CD made of glass master with four-color printing (CMYK).
• Digipack diptych (two bodies) with tray and bag CD booklet, printed on offset to 4/0 colors (CMYK).
• 16 page booklet (faces), printed in offset 4/4 colors (CMYK).
• March / April / May 2016: trials of the music with the quartet ALENKY + photo shoots + creation of teaser.
• June 2016: private concert with ALENKY to collect opinions and constructive criticism.
• July 2016: recording, mixing and mastering of the album. Our idea is that you have the album by the end of the summer.
• October 2016: world premiere of ALENKY in public.
You can listen fragments of some issues included on the CD:
Thank you so much!
Members of ALENKI + Lali Pantone